Working at Commencement
Join the Commencement Student Staff Team
Student staff working at Commencement Week events have an opportunity to:
- See your friends graduate
- Build new connections
- Earn extra money before the summer begins
- Stay in your residence hall through May 22 (only applies to students currently living in a residence hall)
- Experience an #onlyatGW moment—Commencement on the National Mall!
All students who complete the hiring process are required to:
- Attend an orientation session on Tuesday, May 16, from 5 - 7p.m.
- Be available to work at least one 4-hour shift May 18 – May 20: 6:30a.m. - 9:30p.m.
- Work at Commencement on the National Mall on Sunday, May 21, from 6 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Students assigned to work at the Charles E. Smith Center will be required to attend an additional training session on Wednesday, May 17.
The position requires standing for extended periods of time, interacting with guests at events, the ability to lift about 20 pounds, and working outdoors in various weather conditions.
Potential Job Responsibilities
Students selected to assist at Commencement will be assigned to teams by the Events staff. Individuals may be assigned to tasks relating to graduate processions, graduate/guest seating, graduate/guest direction, credential/regalia distribution, as well as many other important tasks.
How to apply
Apply to work at Commencement Week events through GW Student Employment.